Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Mario Kart DS: 100%

I got the RED DS bundle on Dec. 13. I had to return it a few days later due to a dead pixel, which was sad. In doing so, I ended up returning the game and starting over, which wasn't so bad. But after yesterday I'm proud to say I have completed Mario Kart DS for the Nintendo DS, and it is by far the best entry in the series. I'll get my complaints out of the way first and fast. The courses chosen for the Retro cup are all great, but theres so many shortcuts missing! Yoshi Island is missing the tunnel, Mushroom Bridge is missing the pipe and the bridge arch (not to mention the bomb, wiggler, and mushroom cars), and even Koopa Beach 2 lost its feather shortcut! The sacrifices to get these tracks in and make them work for the MKDS play mechanics are not that big, but it makes me wonder why Nintendo didn't just select courses that could be ported perfectly. Also, the Shy Guy racer may not be anything special, but I'm bugged that he can only be used for others in download play. Other than that, the cart selection, new track design, and the brand new mission mode all make this the first real "must have" game for the DS. Not that the handheld hasn't had some good games so far, but its obvious that MKDS is the realization of the technology within. The WiFi networking, the touch screen icons, and the map/play screens all bring home that this is a game developed specifically for the DS, and not ported or half-assed or leaning on a gimmick. Controls are tight, and you don't miss the analog stick much. I do miss the more ergonomic controller, but thats a DS issue. I am glad that power sliding, item dragging, and even the hop are plenty easy to do once you've played a couple races. I know its been over a month since adam posted his review, but I couldn't just let my experience with the game go without saying. Nintendo has removed its biggest stumbling block (online play) with ease, and given their handheld a game that Sony's shiny and powerful PSP cannot duplicate. This won't turn everything around, but it does solidify their position as the rulers of portable gaming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home